Wisdom tooth extraction – All you should know about the procedure
Usually, these wisdom teeth come at the late teenage or the beginning of the 20s. They are a special type of tooth that gives rise to a different joint in your mouth. Wisdom tooth extraction method has been found to extract these teeth as they sometimes become the reason for too many diseases related to mouth and viral infection.
A wisdom tooth can align in anyways. They can be horizontal or more often aligned in further other ways. But with the latest methods and techniques, it is possible to extract a Wisdom tooth. Wisdom tooth is third and the last growth of the molar where you get a more valuable asset to your mouth if they are correctly aligned.
Why wisdom tooth extraction?
Mostly it is seen that wisdom teeth are not well aligned, they position themselves horizontally, they may angle away or toward from the 2nd molars, or vice-versa. Due to poor alignment, wisdom teeth crowd and damage of teeth (mostly adjacent teeth), nerves, and the jawbone occurs. A wisdom tooth can be impacted as they are enclosed within soft tissue. These teeth can partially break through, and it can erupt through the gum.
Mostly, when there is a partial eruption, then wisdom teeth allows an opening for the bacteria that can enter in the mouth and can infect the mouth, which results in irritation and pain. Problems like swelling, general illness, and jaw stiffness can occur at times like this.
Partially erupted teeth can also result in tooth decay and gum disease because they are hard to reach and more often that awkward position can make flossing and brushing difficult.
How to know if you have wisdom tooth?
Firstly, you should be sure to take advice from the doctor to know about the positioning of your wisdom teeth. You may take an X-ray periodically so that you can evaluate its presence and to know the alignment of wisdom teeth. You dentist based on some observation can send you for oral surgeon tests for further evaluation.
Why is it best to get it extracted before?
Your dentist through discussion with the oral surgeon can inform you to extract your teeth even before problems develop. This is the most efficient way as it can be more complicated when it becomes more painful and you will have to wait for next years for the better surgery.
It is seen that wisdom tooth extraction can be done easily on younger people as roots are not fully developed, and bone is less dense. In older people, it is not possible to extract teeth easily as recovery and healing take longer than expected.
There are too many risks that can take place when it is not extracted before like:
- Pain in an adjacent tooth continuously that can become big in future and can create too many problems
- A risk for infection that can lead you to cause lots of viral infections and disease that can be bad for your health for your future. Also, most of the times it is commonly seen that without surgery at proper time, it creates risks for bacterial infections
- It is difficult to predict future problems if there are impacted wisdom teeth. They can infect other teeth, and finally, your dentist will suggest extracting all teeth that have been infected which can be terrible at sometimes
- You cannot see the serious complication in younger peoples but at times when it gets older, there are chances to experience difficulty with surgery and even after surgery, and you will face complications.
These are some of the risks that make compulsory for you to wisdom tooth extraction so that you can feel secure for future and can be protective from too many diseases that can easily take place. These are some of the basic risks.
Otherwise, there are too many cases where it leads to cyst around the cavity which is painful and can make you worry. There are fewer chances to get well-aligned wisdom teeth. That is why it is best for you to extract wisdom teeth if they are not aligned well.
What to do before wisdom tooth extraction surgery?
Before you take an appointment with the dentist for the surgery, you may have several doubts about what type of procedure will be followed in your tooth case?
Do you need someone to drive you home after your surgery?
What time will it take?
How complicated will be the surgery?
Will it be painful?
There are too many questions that you want to ask your dentist, but there are more chances that you will be dispatched to the home on a single day. They will suggest you clean your mouth carefully before the surgery and they will ask when you are free.
Usually, people are too worried about their surgery and are worried about their procedure, but most of the times, dentist informs the type of surgery that they are going to do.
What should you expect at the time of surgery?
These are some of the steps where you get worried about you want to ask your doctor what type of anesthesia will you get and will it feel good after the surgery. You should not worry, they are experienced and are specialized who work on your comfort and your teeth conditions hey can give you anesthesia in three ways:
- Local anesthesia – In this, your oral surgeon will give you two to three injections around the extraction site. You will see them apply a substance to the gum to make you numb before they give you injections. In this procedure, you are awake all the time and can feel some pressure and movement. Although, you will not experience pain throughout the surgery. It is found to be effective way to took surgery when it is small case
- Sedation anesthesia – In this procedure, your surgeon will give you sedation anesthesia in your arm through an intravenous line. In this, you will get local anesthesia as well to numb your gums. Usually, it is seen that sedation anesthesia suppresses your consciousness to make you feel no pain. This is the procedure applied at the time when it is middle case
- General anesthesia – There is special situation often for which general anesthesia is given to the patient. In this sort of thing, you get your extraction medication inhaling through the nose during the procedure. By this procedure, you lose consciousness, and you don’t feel any pain throughout the surgery is complete. During general anesthesia, surgeons mostly put their efforts on monitoring your temperature, medications, breathing, fluids, and blood pressure
These are some of the methods for consciousness during wisdom tooth extraction procedure. These are simple procedures and can make you feel no pain, so you don’t need to worry about anything. There are other tasks that surgeon do at times of extracting teeth like:
- Make an incision creating flaps in the gum to expose the bone and tooth. Also, they remove all those bones which block access to the tooth
- They divide tooth into sections if it is seen easy for them to remove its pieces and remove your tooth
- After the completion of eliminating teeth, they work on cleaning site of the extracted teeth that can be seen on any debris throughout the tooth and bone
- Stitches those wound which is closed to promote healing, though this type of procedures is not necessary. They place gauze so that bleeding can be controlled over the extraction site and to help it from making blood clot
- These are the procedures incomplete they do overall in the surgery. They are specialized, so you don’t need to worry if they make your teeth loose. They care about you and want that you don’t face any difficulty in future.
What to do after the wisdom tooth extraction procedure?
After the surgery, you need to wait, Just sit on chair and surgeons will test activities so they can clear it that time only. Usually, you will be advised not to do any strenuous activity so that it doesn’t result in dislodging the blood clot from the socket.
After surgery, it is best if you drink only soft drinks for the first 24 hours. Avoid drinking it with straw for a week as it can dislodge blood clotting. After surgery, you should drink lots of water and avoid drinking alcoholic and caffeinated for the first 24 hours.
Replace gauze at a regular time and don’t spit too much blood during as it can dislodge blood clotting, so it is best to avoid it. It is best during the time after the surgery to use mouthwash for proper timing for cleaning the mouth and avoid brushing. You can rinse your mouth with salt water every two hours after surgery. These are some of the best ways to be safe from some risks that can affect you from dislodging blood clotting and for several health issues.
It is best to take wisdom tooth extraction at the beginning if there is a bad alignment of your teeth. Contact dental surgeons and hire them as fast as you can. It is the safest method to save your teeth for future.